Monday, March 21, 2011

Struggling...with a capital S.

I started the Engine 2 Diet a week ago today and I have to say that yesterday I pretty much decided that it wasn't for me. In it's entirety anyway...and at this point in my journey. Why? Because I'm so accustomed to throwing my (vegetarian) meals together quickly, without any much or any planning, with olive oil and sea salt, and without many herbs and spices. Therefore, I'm finding that, for me, the E2 diet is going to require a immense amount of my focus and commitment, both of which I'm struggling with right now and both of which I need for other important projects.

The other reason why I don't feel E2 is working for me is because I'm really feeling deprived. I'm sure it's my own fault since I'm not willing to put the time and effort into creating a meal plan and trying all the delicious recipes in the Engine 2 Diet book. I did make the Mac and Not Cheese tonight and it was good, although if compared to Mac & Cheese it would lose (in yumminess) BUT it is most certainly a tasty and healthy substitute.

But don't fret, I'm absolutely not giving up my vegetarian journey...and, after one week of being (for the most part) a Engine 2 Firefighter, I now know that my transition from vegetarian to a vegan diet will be a breeze. Actually, I guess I've transitioned. Although I have decided that, in order for myself to not totally throw in the towel, I need to get back to my personal diet rules. They are to (1) keep it super simple by focusing on healthy whole foods as much as possible and (2) allow myself to enjoy the things I love in moderation (no depriving).

So, I will continue to eat a plant-strong diet and I will also allow myself to have olive oil, sea salt, and non-dairy ice cream/sweets in moderation. I will most certainly be more conscious of the amount of oil, salt, sugar, and processed foods that I consume and do my best to keep them all as low as possible because even extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and raw sugar can be contributors to poor health if you consume too much.

Healthy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment