Saturday, July 30, 2011

Waste Not, Want Not

This year, along with giving up meat (including fish) and dairy (including cheese), I gave up eating microwave meals and began cooking a large part of my meals from actual whole foods (not the grocery store)...unfortunately, I have been finding that on shopping day, I buy all these yummy wonderful fresh fruits and veggies with the best intention of making all these wonderful new recipes and then a week later I'm cleaning out a bunch of rotten food from my fridge. Not to worry, I am definitely eating my plant foods, I just need to scale back (just a tad) on my enthusiasm (for now) and shopping list so I'm not wasting as much. After all, it's only me that I'm cooking for (yes, you can pull out your tiny violin now) and I'm not so organized as to cook a bunch of food and freeze it for later...nor do I really have the freezer space to do that.

So all that said, the following article (link below) about creating less waste came through my "stream" on Google+ and wanted to share it with you. Of course, I now have a whole new level of 'waste not, want not' to strive for. Please feel free to share your thoughts and feelings about this in the comments. Enjoy!

www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/dining/thats-not-trash-thats-dinner

P.S. If you're on Google+, please look me (Suzanne Burke) up! And if you haven't been able to get in yet, let me know and I'll slip you a pass. ;^)

No comments:

Post a Comment